Tuesday, October 9, 2007



The Frantic are an up and coming band from the Chicago suburbs, and their new album, Audio & Murder, is about to hit stores. Frontman Kyle Dee took a few minutes to answer my questions about the new album and how it feels to be in a band so young.



PPJ: First, tell us your name and what you do in the band.

Kyle Dee: I am Kyle Dee. I sing and play guitar in the band 'The Frantic.'

PPJ: You guys are pretty young for a band. Do you think that gives you any advantages or disadvantages?

Kyle: I think like all things, it comes with pros and cons. It's great for us because we have a head-start on our music career. We have a ton of energy, and a longer shelf life than some of the bands at a higher age. It helps us stand out in the crowd as well considering I am about 5' tall. Our music appeals to all ages though.

PPJ: What bands do you think have impacted your music and your lives the most?

Kyle: I was born into music. As a kid, my parents would buy me a new cassette tape at least once a week. The music that really showed me my dream would be Nirvana or Green Day. I was also huge on The Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, Foo Fighters. The big 90's bands.

PPJ: Chicago has been a recent hotspot for up and coming bands. What has your experience been like with the Chicago scene?

Kyle: It really helps to be coming out of a major city. A lot of media is spread throughout Chicago and we hope to become a big part of the music scene here. The kids that come out are always really supportive and it means the world to us as a band.

PPJ: How did you go about writing the songs on Audio & Murder?

Kyle: Audio & Murder is a mix of things we have written over the years. It goes from teen love and heart break, to high school and parties. A lot of it is just about being with your friends and enjoying life.

PPJ: What was it like to work with a big name producer like Mudrock?

Kyle: Being the young guys that we are, a big name producer opened our eyes to the music business. He truly put not only his heart into the record, but ours as well. Mudrock taught us a lot about song structure and helped change our songs for the better. We couldn't be more thankful.

PPJ: What are your favorite and least favorite songs on the new record, and why?

Kyle: 'I Don't Want to Be Alone' is my personal favorite. It feels like the catchiest song to me. As for least favorite, it wouldn't have made it on the record if we didn't like a song! 'Heifer' is definitely hit or miss though. I always worry that we might offend our audience which is not the intention of the song at all. On the other hand it is the song many people remember us by.

PPJ: You've also performed alongside some huge bands. What's that like, and what's your favorite memory of a show?

Kyle: Sharing a stage with bands I've grown up loving is a dream come true.
It's awesome to know that they are real people just like you and I. They are just very talented. The best feeling in the world is following their footsteps and learning what they do to succeed.

PPJ: What are your plans for the next few months after the record comes out?

Kyle: I hope that things take off very quickly. Especially the record. (Which comes out Oct. 30th in stores everywhere.) Touring is going to be an all year plan, along with writing the next record on down time. Other than that, meeting all of our fans at shows!

PPJ: I have to ask: is there a story behind the song "Heifer?"

Kyle: Like I said earlier, the CD is about times we've gone through over the years. I wrote "Heifer" in the 8th grade about a girl that I had a feud with. I was just a dumb punk rock kid who thought getting into trouble was cool. ( It isn't. ) The girl and I get along great now and I feel bad for ever writing it. But I did.

PPJ: Finally, tell us three bands you think we should be listening to.

Kyle: As a whole, the new Used album " Lies for the Liars " is incredible. I'm also currently listening to Paramore - Riot! and Chiodos - Bone Pallace Ballet.


Thanks again to Kyle for answering these questions, and to Mike Cubillos at Earshot Media for arranging the interview. Be sure to pick up Audio & Murder on October 30th, and then go out and catch The Frantic on tour.

No comments: