Tuesday, February 6, 2007

before you gave in.


Dustin Kensrue - Please Come Home.


Dustin Kensrue is the frontman for post-hardcore band Thrice. So when I first heard the songs from this alt-country album, it was a little bit of a shock. However, looking back at some old acoustic versions of Thrice songs, I realize I shouldn't be that surprised.

Kensrue really has great natural talent for this kind of music. It's like Ryan Adams meets Neil Young. Kensrue can pretty much blow away all of the current alt-country competition (excluding Wilco, of course).

The album has a very distinct mood to it: you can feel Kensrue's longing for change and his loneliness. At the same time however, the songs make you feel safe; like you are home. Also, if I'm correct in assuming that some of these songs are about his wife, she is a very lucky woman.

Kensrue can flip easily between the foot-tapping rhythms of songs like "I Knew You Before" to the languidity of "Consider The Ravens," and pull off both with equal dexterity.

Every track on this short album (it's just under thirty minutes long) is stellar in every aspect: lyrics, musicianship, production...it's all there. This album is sure to be in my stereo for a long time to come.

Standout Tracks: I Knew You Before, Please Come Home, Blood & Wine

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Agreed, agreed, agreed ten times over. There are very few solo projects that I'll give a second spin, but Dustin has totally taken up residence in my heart.

RMJ said...

What is post-hardcore? It sounds scary. How does one go from hardcore to alt-country?