Thursday, February 22, 2007

I go ahead and smile.


Lily Allen - Alright, Still.


I realize I'm a little late on getting this album, but better late than never, right?

The beautiful Lily Allen hails from London, and her debut LP is a blend of sunny vocals and dancey R&B beats. She's like a pop Lady Sovereign, with the attitude dropped down a notch or two...barely.

Although Allen's voice is clear and bright, her lyrics are almost the opposite. Most of the songs are about trying to get guys to leave her alone. While most artists would come across as whiny, Allen makes it all fun, especially in songs like "Knock 'Em Out."

Just get out my face / just leave me alone / And no you can't have my number / "Why?" / Because I've lost my phone

It's glorious, as is "LDN." On first listen, the song sounds like a love poem to London. Listen closer:

Everything seems to look as it should / But I wonder what goes on behind doors / A fella looking dapper / but he's sitting with a slapper / Then I see it's a pimp and his crack whore

Also, all girls who are bitter towards the male gender should take the lead of "Not Big." ;)

Most of the album follows in this general vein. As the album progresses, the subject matter becomes darker and deeper in songs like "Littlest Things." I find most of these songs to be not quite as interesting as her more tongue-in-cheek ones.

Allen also does nothing to cover up her British accent, which is an added novelty. Adding to this is the very slick production, coming together to make a sweet pop creation. I'm not sure the album has too much staying power, but I'll be pulling it out during the summer months for sure.

Standout Tracks: Everything's Wonderful, Shame for You, Alfie

No comments: