Friday, February 2, 2007

a bright white light from nowhere.

The Academy Is... - LAX To O'Hare

The new Academy song is now streaming on their absolutepunk profile.

Alright. So TAI is pretty much one of my favorite bands. I'm really expecting a lot out of them with this new release, especially after they kicked Tom Conrad out of the band and replaced him with some random Australian. They're really going to have to work hard to get my respect back, and this song isn't quite working.

At first, the song sounds promising. That is, promising until William Beckett starts singing. I don't know what he's doing differently, but I don't like it. His voice grates on my ears so much that it's hard for me to listen to the song all the way through.

It also sounds like they've let their labelmates Cobra Starship influence them heavily - while the whole track isn't straight up dance rock, the chorus definitely is.

I do have good things to say about the lyrics, however. Bill (or did Mike Carden write this one?) has definitely stepped it up - the lyrics are a little more complex than anything that appears on their EP or LP.

I just hope this track is not representative of the entirety of Santi.

No comments: